Thursday, April 4, 2013

TED Talk Evaluation

Overall Grade: 27/30

During my presentation, I noticed that I looked at my notes far too much, and although I did make eye contact occasionally, it was extremely brief. In retrospect, I should've practiced more beforehand. This would have allowed me to memorize what I would say and I wouldn't have needed to read off the cards as much. I also would have been less nervous overall, and I'll admit nervousness made me hide behind my note cards instead of looking at the audience. I was told afterwards that I sped up near the end, probably in order to get it over with.

Now that I think about it, most of the examples of things knitted by my family were unnecessary and didn't add much to the presentation. It was nice to have them actually there, but just putting pictures up on a powerpoint would've worked as well.

I spoke loud and clearly, I think, and I tried to make the powerpoint so that it wouldn't detract from anything I was saying. I used simple pictures that conveyed my point. I was very happy that there were plenty of questions afterwards, because one of my fears was that no one would be interested enough to ask any.

Something I didn't mention in my presentation because I didn't think it was entirely relevant was that the sweater is not technically comfortably wearable. I can put it on and it plays the role of a functional sweater, yes. But I wouldn't want to wear it all day long. I had sewn it only a day before the actual presentation, so I already had my speech written and practiced. I was also right up against the time limit (at least in practice, I might have sped up during the real thing), and having to explain what went wrong and where would have put me over five minutes.

However, the fact that it didn't work out and I can't even give it to my friend is an even better indicator of the intrinsic motivation I have towards knitting. It could be argued that a strengthened friendship could have been my extrinsic motivation. Or possibly her admiration of my handiwork was motivation. But since I am not able to give it to her, literally any remaining shred of extrinsic motivation has been flushed down the toilet, and I am absolutely sure that knitting is a true passion of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment