Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sewing.

Today was the day of truth, the sewing up of my sweater. I had all the parts ready, just in time for the TED Talk. Since I have hardly any experience with sewing, I asked my mother to help me. I already knew from smaller projects (such as the purple gloves I had made a few months ago) that I was lacking in sewing skill. I generally just try my best to make it so that the two parts don't completely fall apart.

She explained how I would pin it together and showed me which stitch I would use. I struggled with it for a while, and she would take over occasionally and sew up sections for me so it wouldn't take all night. I still got practice, though, and I feel more confident in my sewing abilities now.

We did run into an issue with the sleeves. We had pinned them in the wrong place and had to take out a whole row of stitches. And it's not easy taking stitches out. We did it eventually though, re-pinned the sleeves, and kept going.

The finished product was wearable. Unfortunately, it wasn't comfortable. The shoulder was too tight and the neck didn't give enough room around the back. The whole thing was a little baggy. I'm still proud of how it looks, even if it's not something I would want to wear.

Because of this, it's not something I would want to give my friend. I'll make her something else to make up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment