Monday, March 11, 2013

I've made lots of progress, although the sweater isn't quite finished. Maybe by this weekend? We'll see.

I've begun knitting in the round with double pointed needles, which lets you knit things that are tubes, like socks or gloves. It's easier than I expected, honestly. It looks really complicated, and although it's a few too many needles to handle sometimes, it's a lot better than knitting everything in pieces and then sewing it up afterwards. I'm planning on making some fingerless gloves as a practical way to test this skill.


I don't really like the patterns I've found for gloves so far, and besides, following a pattern can get tedious sometimes. So I think I'll just try to do it without a pattern, which should be easy enough. It's just  some ribbing for the first few rows and then stockinette or whatever other kind of stitch I want for the rest of it. So far I've stuck pretty strictly to patterns while knitting, so I hope all goes well.

I've been neglecting crochet a little this week. I'm considering dropping that part of my project. I'm having more fun getting deeper into knitting than scraping the surface of crochet. All I've done with crochet so far is a practice swatch with a few different stitches and the beginnings of a little toy octopus. (Similar to Becca H's but smaller.) So unless I get a sudden burst of inspiration towards crochet, I'll be focusing more on knitting.

Sunday, I went to the library to find some books on knitting so I could work on the reading portion of the project. I found a really nice one called "Zen and the Art of Knitting", which is about how knitting is a meditative process. The author talked to lots of different people about their experiences with it. It's an interesting read. A good quote from the beginning was:

"If the finished piece were the sole aim, one would purchase a mass-produced garment at a local mall for a fraction of the cost and time required to make a sweater. The true joy comes from discovering the individual beauty of each segment, the feeling of accomplishment when completing a particularly difficult section, and the sense of challenge that lurks as you plan the next project."
I definitely feel that way while knitting. It's an exciting process, although it may not look that way to an outsider. It's an interesting challenge that's very different from the ones normally encountered in real life, and I enjoy it immensely.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your sweater! You should wear it to the TED talk. The double pointed needle sounds interesting, I hope you do well with those gloves and it is good that you are experimenting with no pattern. I agree that maybe you should drop crochet, since you're not making much progress with it. Also, focusing on only knitting instead of crochet as well is probably a good idea, you will probably make more progress. That zen book sounds interesting. ;)

    I don't really know much about knitting, but it seems like you really enjoy it and that's good.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks really interesting! I've tried knitting a few times before, but I've never had the patience (nor the skill). I think that focusing on knitting is a good idea, especially if you really enjoy this topic and want to gain a deeper understanding of it, instead of focusing on two topics. Ha, "Zen and the Art of Knitting". I actually don't find that too hard to believe. You really should wear your final product to the TED Talk! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to knit an octopus that looks like mine? Good luck! It would probably be best for you to get a KNITTING pattern, which I can give you. For double pointed needles you need to remember you're not turning the work, so you don't need to change from p2 k2 to k2 p2 because then it's just garter stitch.

    ReplyDelete